Skip to Content

Can Dogs Eat Plums? [What Are the Risks]

As dog owners, we are always concerned about our dogs’ health. And their diet plays a big part in keeping them healthy. But sometimes we end up giving them food that is not good for them. Plums can be that kind of food. 

Can dogs eat plums? 

The answer is both yes and no. For starters, dogs aren’t poisoned by the ripened body of a plum. But the pit, as well as the remainder of the plum plant, contains several poisons. One of the poisons is called cyanide. By eating those parts your dog will get plum toxicity. Vomiting, tremors, and difficulties in breathing are all symptoms of plum toxicity. 

Do you require additional information on this? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. Please take a few moments to read my article. I’m sure you’ll have what you need. 

Let’s start!

Are Plums Good For Dogs? 

Being a dog owner is no easy job. One slip-up can make your little furry friend get sick. For example, your dog eating pasta, which is very normal, can make it sick. Just like pasta, plums can also be dangerous for your dog. 

But let’s be specific! Are plums safe for your dog?

If you want the simple answer then it would be, “No”. Plums are not good for dogs. 

Dogs are not poisoned by the ripened body of a plum. But the plum pit along with the remainder of the plum plant is dangerous. Because they contain several poisons, particularly cyanide.

Plums are one of the numerous fruits that have hydrogen cyanide in them. This is extremely hazardous to dogs if swallowed. 

The plum pit has the largest amount of hydrogen cyanide. But there is plenty of hydrogen cyanide in the leaves and roots too. These toxins will induce stomach pain and maybe respiratory trouble if consumed. 

Other poisonous compounds found in the plum include amygdalin, prunasin, and cyanogen. All of them can cause effects similar to those caused by cyanide. Cyanide inhibits the oxidative process and causes blood cells to die as well. 

The respiratory arrest will take place as a result of this. You’ll notice puking, tremors, and breathing issues if your dog gets plum poisoning. If not treated promptly, the signs might be lethal within an hour. 

So, you get the gist of how harmful plums are for dogs. Sure plumps are not as dangerous as raisins and grapes. But they can still be lethal for your little furry friend. 

What Are The Symptoms of Plum Poisoning?

Suppose you search if lemons are safe for dogs. You find out that they can’t eat more than one. Otherwise, the dog will suffer from lemon poisoning. So, if there’s actually a thing called lemon poisoning you’d need to know the symptoms. 

This can exactly be the case for plum poisoning. You should know the symptoms to understand your dog’s health condition better.  

If your dog is showing symptoms of plum poisoning make sure you go to the vet instantly. It’s nothing to be taken lightly. The symptoms of plum poisoning include: 

  • Gums, tongue, and mouth turning red. 
  • Difficulty in breathing. 
  • Pupils might be dilated. 
  • Body collapsing 
  • The dog will have respiratory collapse. 
  • The body will go into shock. 
  • Seizures.
  • Agitation.
  • Collapse. 
  • Foaming in the mouth.  

Your dog can probably die if you don’t treat him. That’s why you’ve to take this very seriously. 

Things You Can Do If Your Dog Eats Plums

Remember that time when your dog ate something he shouldn’t have. And you were stumped? Your dog may have consumed papaya. Now, he’s unwell, and you’re at a loss on what to do. 

As a fellow pet owner, I know how scary that is. This is why I have this segment. To assist you in deciding what to do if your dog consumes plums. 

If your dog gets his teeth on a plum, be calm and contact your veterinarian. Look for any remnants of the plum. This way, you’ll be able to tell your vet which parts of the plum your dog consumed. Your dog should be fine if the pit is still there.

But your dog might’ve consumed the plum pit or other toxic portions of the plum plant. If this happens, keep a watch out for signs of discomfort in that instance. They should be similar to the plum toxicity symptoms described earlier.

If your dog develops indications of plum toxicity, you should call your veterinarian. Even if you think they’ve eaten a lot of plums, call your veterinarian. The vet will examine your dog to see if there are any other indications of plum toxicity.

In rare circumstances, sodium nitrite can be given by an intravenous drip. This will assist in removing cyanide from your dog’s body.

Since plum pits are dangerous to dogs, it’s best to keep this fruit out of grasp and sight. Place them on a higher shelf or in a refrigerator compartment that is pet-proof. 

There is a range of healthier treats that may fulfill your dog’s need to be pampered. Consult your veterinarian if your dog has a sugar craving and enjoys fruits. They will suggest a variety of pet-safe choices.

But still, to help you out I have given a list of pet-safe treats for dogs:

Product 1
Product 2

Feel free to give your dog these munchies. 

By now you can probably guess how toxic plums are for dogs. If you’re a new dog owner, I suggest you don’t try anything new for a few days. Look for the guidelines for giving your dog treats when you’re searching for new treat ideas. 

FAQs

Question: Can plums cause diarrhea in dogs?

Answer: Yes, they can. Dogs mostly get plum meat. This part is okay for them. But they might induce gastrointestinal upset and disorders like diarrhea. This happens if they eat too many plums or if they eat the toxic plum parts.

Question: How many plums can a dog eat in one sitting?

Answer: It’s better not to feed your dog plums. Your dog can get a few slices of plum per week, but not anymore. Yes, fruits are nutritious and healthy. But remember, our dogs do not require the same quantity of fruit as we do to keep fit.

Question: Are Mirabelle plums safe for dogs to eat?

Answer: No, they aren’t safe. Since they are small, like cherry plums, they must be kept far away from your dog. Ornamental plums, on the other hand, are healthy. But ornamental plums are not particularly tasty. 

Final Word

Can dogs eat plums? You should have figured out the solution by now. Besides reading this article, I suggest you consult with your vet. Your vet should set up a list of daily nutritions you should give your dog. 

Good luck and keep your little fella safe!