Skip to Content

Can Dogs Eat Onions [Complete Guide]

There is always uncertainty about sharing your food with your dog. It’s the best way to treat your dog. But no, there is the dilemma. Not all foods that are good for humans are also good for dogs. 

Can dogs eat onions? 

No, dogs can’t eat onions. For some factor, the digestive system of dogs can’t handle onions. And that is bad for the dog. In other words, onions are toxic to dogs. But it depends on the amount of onion and the soE of your dog. Also, there are some immediate treatments for onion toxicity. 

You must still be cloudy about this matter. Don’t worry we have prepared an entire article to clear yourself out. Read this detailed article!

Can Dogs Eat Onions? 

For us humans, onions can be great ingredients. We use it everywhere, for example, fruit salads, broccoli, and curry. So you might be thinking, it’s ok if your dogs eat onions too. 

But no onion contains a toxic particle known as N- propyl disulfide. This compound is very much toxic to dogs. 

This compound affects the red blood cells by attacking the oxygen molecules in the red blood cells. 

Because of toxicity, red blood cells get destroyed, the process is known as hemolysis. And it causes hemolysis anemia. 

How Much Onion Is Dangerous? 

You might be ignoring a little bite of onion, thinking that just a bite won’t hurt. But still, you shouldn’t do that. 

Because one onion can also be harmful and dangerous to your dog like eating grapefruit

Mathematically we can say onions are dangerous. If your dog eats 0.5 percent of his or her body weight at a time. 

To put that in a simple way even a small onion bite can be dangerous to your dog. It can lead to fatal food poisoning. The smaller the dog’s weight the greater the danger might be. 

If your dog weighs 150 pounds or more like a heavily weighted dog. Then maybe one bite won’t hurt or affect that much of a health hazard. 

But if your dog is a smaller one like a chihuahua, Maltese, or Shih Tzu then even one bite of onion can lead to a dangerous health hazard and food poisoning. 

Are Every Parts of Onion Are Toxic to Dogs? 

Yes, all parts of the onion plant are toxic to dogs. Onions and ginger are in the same class. That means that every part of the onion is toxic to dogs. Including the juce or processed powder. 

Especially onion powder. It’s a wide range of food. It’s used everywhere, from baby food to adults. And onion powder can be dangerous. Even 1 spoon can lead to a dog’s health hazard. 

You might be thinking if it’s ok to treat dogs with cooked onion or dishes cooked with onion. 

No, cooked onion or dishes cooked with onion can also be dangerous. You should avoid treating your dogs with dishes cooked along with the onion. 

You also should avoid sharing your dishes with your dog that are with onion. 

Eating any flesh of onion or onion powder or cooked onion can lead to toxicity. But obviously, it will show some symptoms of toxicity. 

If you accidentally treat your dog with onion or onion-cooked dishes. Then check out for toxicity symptoms. 

But here’s the thing, the toxic symptoms won’t be displayed immediately. 

If you see your dog eating onions it’s best to immediately console a vet. But if you didn’t notice then check for the symptoms to be sure. 

Here are some of the toxicity symptoms for you to check. 

Symptoms of Onion Toxicity in Dogs

Onions can be considered as an everyday used ingredient to us. And that’s why we don’t feel like it can be toxic. However, for that little bit of ignorance, your dog may have to pay the price. 

If accidentally your dog ate some onion you should check for the onion toxicity symptoms:

  • Lethargy 
  • Weakness
  • Decreased appetite
  • Pale gums
  • Fainting
  • Reddish urine 
  • Panting 
  • Vomiting
  • Elevated heart rate
  • Diarrhea

If you see any of those symptoms, the best you can do is to take your dog to a vet. You need to take immediate action. 

Because delay can result in a fatal injury. 

Without treatment of the toxicity, your dog may suffer from kidney failure. Or in the worst-case scenario death. 

Here are some of the treatments that your dog may get through. 

Treatment for Onion Toxicity 

The treatment basically depends on how much onion your dog ate. And when you have found out about the onion. In other words the delay you make to conduct treatment. 

If you found out that your dog just ate an onion and immediately took action. And took him to a vet. The first thing your vet can do is to induce vomiting to get that onion out before it gets digested. 

If you found out a little after and the symptoms are already displaying. Then your vet will conduct some supportive treatment. 

In the worst-case scenario, your dog may need a blood transfer. 

For onion toxicity, the blood especially the red blood cells gets too much affected. That’s why after immediate treatment your vet also would provide ongoing care and treatment.

That also includes some vitamins and supplements for dogs. That will help your dog to get back to a healthy and normal life. 

Here are some of the top brand’s recommended vitamins and supplements for you:

Product 01 
Product 02 

These vitamins and supplements are usually recommended by doctors. They will help your dogs to recover. 

FAQs 

Question: How long after eating an onion will a dog get sick? 

Answer: Usually the symptoms of sickness will start after 1 to 3 days. It usually depends on your dog’s size. It often starts as tummy upset, vomiting, and diarrhea. 

Question: Is cheese toxic?

Answer: No, cheese is not toxic. Dogs can eat cheese. Cheese can be a great training tool. Especially when you are training a puppy.

Question: Can your dogs eat eggs? 

Answer: Yes, your dogs can eat eggs. As long as they are well cooked before feeding to the dog. They are healthy and a good treat for dogs. 

Conclusion 

That’s all from us. Hope now you are out of the dilemma on that note whether dogs can eat onions.

You should avoid onions when treating your dog. And also you should be very careful whether your dogs lick onions. It can be dangerous for your dog’s health. 

Best of luck with your dog!