Skip to Content

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate: 5 Things You Need To Know

It’s never clear whether or not giving your dog chocolate is a good idea. Chocolate may be delicious for you. Hence you may think that it’s likely yummy for your dog, too. But here is the problem! Not every type of chocolate you like is good for dogs.

Can dogs eat chocolate?

Dogs should not be fed chocolate. Even a tiny amount of chocolate may become their cause of illness. Some health problems like vomiting, dizziness, diarrhea can happen. If it occurs, get your pet to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Keeping away chocolate from your dog can save the day!

Well, this was just an overview. We’ll cover everything that needs to be known in our article.

So what are you waiting for? Let’s dig right in!

Is It Allowed for Dogs to Eat Chocolate? 

People really enjoy chocolate as a delectable treat. But dogs can be poisoned by chocolate. Because there are some substances that are toxic for your furry friend. 

Even the tiniest amount can be dangerous to your dog’s health. It’s possible that your dog might die after eating chocolate.

When it comes to dogs, the amount of chocolate they consume and their weight determine how toxic it is to them. Like, a 27-pound dog can only consume about 3 ounces of bakery chocolate before becoming sick.

To summarize, an average-sized dog will not die from eating a small amount of chocolate. But it’s to avoid it to be safe. Even feeding vanilla ice cream to dogs in small amounts can’t be done.

Dogs cannot be fed chocolate at any time or under any circumstance. In order to protect your pet, keep a close eye on it from eating chocolate.

1. The Reason Why Dogs Can’t Eat Chocolate

Methylxanthines, caffeine and theobromine are found in chocolate. These are the reasons for the toxicity of chocolate for your dog.

These toxins have been shown to influence the heart and muscles. A dog’s body is unable to process the chemicals in chocolate the same way that ours can. 

This leads to a greater sensitivity to the toxic effects of the chemicals and the symptoms we see in dogs. It can be more serious if your dog is pregnant, little, or has previous health issues.

Some chocolates have dry fruits like pistachio in them. So you might be wondering whether dogs can be fed pistachios. Well, no. It may be delicious for us. But don’t try to feed this to your dog as it’s not good for it.

2. How Chocolate Affects Dog’s Health?

Toxic effects from chocolate can manifest themselves fast or slowly over time. They can last for a few hours or even a few days.

The severity of your dog’s symptoms may need hospitalization and supportive care. In dogs, symptoms of toxicity from chocolate include:

  1. Vomiting and/or nausea
  2. Diarrhea
  3. Lethargy
  4. Increased breathing or panting
  5. Anxious or agitated behavior
  6. Thirst arousal
  7. Consumption of more water
  8. A pulsating heartbeat
  9. Heart irregularities
  10. Tremors in the muscles
  11. Inflammation of the internal organs

Your dog might have symptoms of seizure, breakdown, coma, or death. These cannot be afforded as a dog lover for anyone.

Several factors influence the toxicity of chocolate to dogs, including the amount consumed by your dog. Instead of feeding chocolate, you can serve your dog these sweet treats. These products are edible for dogs:

Product 1
Product 2

If you want to use these products, you must know (or estimate):

  • The amount of sugar on the food
  • What is the weight of your dog?
  • The calories of the ingredients on that food

Any food a dog eats can cause an allergic reaction, just like in humans. Toxic chemicals used in chocolates can cause allergic reactions to dogs. 

Consult a veterinarian if you suspect an allergic response in your dog. These allergic symptoms are also seen when feeding shrimp to dogs or any type of seafood.

3. Is It Safe to Say That All Chocolates Are Toxic?

Pets should avoid any chocolate, but there are some that are more toxic than others. Theobromine concentration in chocolate is what determines the toxicity of the substance.

This toxicity varies from type to type. But one way to tell the harmfulness of chocolate is by how dark it is. Darker chocolate contains more theobromine than light chocolates.

Starting with the most toxic, here are the toxicity levels:

  1. Cocoa powder
  2. Cooking chocolate.
  3. Dark chocolate
  4. Chocolate milk
  5. White chocolate

If your dog eats a large amount of chocolate, however, you could be putting your dog’s health at risk.

4. How to Handle a Dog After Eating Chocolate

Vets should be called immediately if your dog consumes chocolate. After the amount of toxicity is determined by them, they can recommend the best steps to take.

While you’re waiting for medical attention, keep your dog relaxed and secure. Inducing vomiting at home may be recommended by your veterinarian.

Veterinarians may advise that you bring your dog in for immediate treatment.

They’d stop your dog’s theobromine intake by giving him activated charcoal. 

Immediately treat your dog for chocolate poisoning to ensure the best results. More therapy and even overnight care may be necessary for extreme circumstances.

5. What Should I Do to Protect My Dog From Chocolate?

When it comes to sweets, dogs are no different than humans. They will likely try to eat whatever you are eating. Because dogs are known to eat chocolate, you should take precautions to ensure that your dog does not come into contact with any chocolate.

The following suggestions will help your dog avoid chocolate:

  • Everyone who interacts with your dog should be aware of the dangers chocolate poses to dogs.
  • Store chocolates up high and out of reach of dogs.
  • Keep your pet outside the cooking and eating places by using a baby gate.
  • Teach children not to feed the dog chocolate.

You can teach the command “leave it” to your dog. Make sure your dog doesn’t ingest chocolate. Even if it’s only for a normal day, it doesn’t really matter.

Keep chocolate treats out of your puppy’s reach to keep your pet safe!

FAQs

Question: Is there a specific amount of chocolate that can cause a dog to die?

Answer: It’s possible that a 22-pound dog could be killed by 20 ounces of dairy milk, 10 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, and just 2.25 ounces of baker’s chocolate.

Question: Do you think it’s okay if I offer my dog a milky bar?

Answer: Dogs should not consume white chocolate or milky bars. I advise against giving your dog any kind of candy or sweets.

Question: Is it possible for a dog to die from chocolate poisoning in a single bite?

Answer: The average-sized dog will not be harmed by a tiny amount of chocolate. It’s best to stimulate vomiting with hydrogen peroxide if your dog has consumed over a few chocolate chips. 

Conclusion

The end is near for this. I hope this answers your questions on whether dogs can eat chocolate or not.

If you accidentally feed chocolates to your dog, you should consult a vet as soon as possible. I Hope you have the answers.

Wish you and your furry friend good luck!